You’ve finally finished your book, completed several rounds of self-editing, and sent it off to your beta readers! How exciting!!! [high five]
But… it’s been over a month, and only two people have gotten back to you, and all they said was “It’s great!” and “I’m so proud of you!” Sigh… You’re glad your mom liked it (haha!), but that’s not the kind of feedback you need.
What You Actually Need
You need helpful, detailed advice about how to make your book better from a person who reads your genre. My beta reading service will provide you with detailed, in-depth feedback from a professional editor.
Family and friends are happy for you and may not be objective with their feedback. With my professional beta reading service, you will get honest and unbiased advice communicated in a constructive way. You won’t be waiting around and hope I eventually get back to you. I definitely will get back to you because we will agree on a specific due date and have a written agreement.
Professional Beta Reading
You will receive a detailed letter that covers 19 key areas of your book, plus my expertise in forensic science and legal and police procedures.
The letter will address the following areas, plus any specific questions you need help with.
- Overall Impression
- Intro/Chapter 1
- Point of View
- Showing vs. Telling
- Emotional Impact
- Favorite Parts
- Fact checking: Basic
- Fact checking: Forensic/Legal/Police Procedure
- Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation (Overview Only)
If your book is in the crime fiction/true crime genres, you will also get my expertise in forensic science. I will note and offer advice on your use of forensic science procedures and terminology in your story. My specialty is forensic DNA/biology and crime lab operations, and I have a working knowledge of other areas of forensic science and police and legal procedures.
I also let you know if the procedures are believable and technically accurate and provide guidance on what you can do to fix them. Are you using the correct terminology? Does your writing make sense in the forensic context? Is the technology accurate and believable?
What You Get
- Detailed 10-15 page letter covering the 19 areas mentioned above, plus any specific points you want me to address
- Short summary of major grammar, punctuation, phrasing, word choice, and capitalization issues that you can address when you are revising. I do not actually fix the errors. You will get an overview of habitual patterns that I noted when I was reading your manuscript (with examples of each issue)
- 10% discount on my copyediting services
- Short contract detailing the agreed-upon date that you will receive your completed beta read from me
How It Works
- Go to my Contact page and send me an email. Be sure to include the following information:
- Title/genre of book
- Description/blurb of your book
- Length of book
- Desired turnaround time
- I check my calendar and let you know when I have room for your project.
- I send a short contract that details the start/end dates, payment terms, and scope of the service.
- I send an invoice for $200. This deposit is nonrefundable. After the deposit is paid, I officially add your project to my calendar. You can also choose to pay the total amount up front, which will streamline the process. For shorter projects, the deposit will be approximately 50% of the total based on estimated word count.
- I beta read your book and prepare your letter.
- I send you an email notifying you that the project is complete, along with an invoice for the remainder of the payment. Once the invoice is paid, I send the final document to you.
$6.00 per 1000 words
If you’d like me to do the first few chapters or a section with a lot of forensic, legal, or courtoom procedures in it, please contact me for a customized quote. The price of the quote will be deducted from the full price if I beta read the entire book.
The genres listed below are only a sample of what I read. Please contact me if you have a book in another genre and would like me to take a look.