It’s Time To Make It Shine
Your book is back from your beta readers or the developmental editor, and you’ve made changes based on their feedback. The plot and big picture elements of your story are complete. Excellent! You’re almost finished! [fist bump] Now it’s time to pay attention to the words at the paragraph and sentence levels before you share your story with the world.
You’ve tried to correct all the spelling and punctuation errors but aren’t sure you’ve caught them all (you’ve read it a million times by now), or maybe grammar, spelling, and punctuation just aren’t your thing. You also need someone to check for consistency/continuity and suggest edits to sentence structure and word choice.
I Can Help
My copyediting service will help you polish your book to improve flow and catch all those pesky little errors (commas, anyone?). You can rest easy knowing a second set of professionally trained eyes will go over your book in detail. But don’t worry! I suggest changes and edits but maintain your voice and unique writing style. I am not here to gleefully mark up your book with my red pen. I want to help you polish and fine-tune your story, not change it. At the end of the day, all final edits are up to you.
Don’t worry if you’ve never worked with an editor before. I’ll explain everything every step of the way.
To see how I edit a document and if my editing style matches your needs, I provide a free 500-word sample edit to see if we are a good fit. I work in Microsoft Word using Track Changes, letting you see exactly what I changed in your manuscript and allowing you to accept or reject changes.
What You Get
- Revised copy of your manuscript that has been checked for the following items:
- Word choice
- Sentence structure/phrasing
- Continuity of story
- Overuse of specific words/phrases
- Dialogue phrasing and punctuation
- Basic fact checking
- Forensic science fact checking (if applicable)
- Free final proofread of book blurb (up to 150 words)
- Editorial letter listing the changes I made to your manuscript
How It Works
- Go to my Contact page and send me an email, or fill out the contact form. Be sure to include the following information:
- Title/genre of book
- Short summary/blurb
- Length of book
- Desired turnaround time
- 500-word passage for sample edit in Microsoft Word (preferably from the last half of the book)
- I will reply and let you know if your desired return date fits with my schedule. If it does, I will give you a return date for the sample edit (~2-3 business days).
- If you are happy with my edits and want to move forward, I ask for a larger portion of the manuscript (at least half but I prefer the entire thing) so I can give an accurate quote. Providing a larger portion of the manuscript right away will speed up receiving a final quote.
- If you would like to hire me as your copy editor, I draft a contract that details the scope of editing, payment terms, receipt/return dates, and other details.
- I require 50% of the final amount to be paid before I officially add you to my calendar. This is a non-refundable deposit.
- Once I start editing, I do a midpoint check-in with you to touch base and ask any urgent questions.
- Once I have completed my edits, I contact you and send an invoice for the remaining amount.
- When the invoice is paid in full, I return all documents to you.
- Pricing will vary by document. My rate ranges from $0.015 per word to $0.04 per word (for heavier copyedits). I base my rate on the sample edit and a spot check of rest of the book.
- If you make major changes after receiving the edits and want me to look over certain passages again, I charge $45 per hour.
Go to my Contact page to request a quote today!